AfroPHC is setting up a Primary Health Care (PHC) Systems Research Group as a transdisciplinary group addressing African PHC System issues. We plan to meet 1-3 pm CAT on the 1st Tuesday of every month. The objectives of the group are:
- To develop an understanding of key documents affecting PHC systems
- To share relevant published research on PHC systems in Africa
- To share and review research work in progress on PHC systems in Africa
- To mentor master’s researchers
- To network for collaborative research projects.
The monthly two-hour meeting will mainly review key PHC systems documents, share African PHC System published by group members and present/review research work in progress on PHC systems in Africa. Register below to join us.
AfroPHC Research Mentorship (ARM) Programme
The AfroPHC Research Mentorshop (ARM) Programme is to guide a novice researcher to complete a proposal ready for ethics submission in a year. Those who join AfroPHC and/or show their interest in research below will get further emails to gauge their interest in the ARM Programme. Anyone in the African PHC team can apply as a Researcher (whether current university student or not). We are particularly interested, if you have to skills as a Supervisor (Masters/PhD and tasks of liaising with student 1-2 weekly (at least mthly) to complete tasks). The deadline for the mentorship programme will be end July 2022. See useful resources below as well as the 2022 schedule of meetings to support this process. See the list of Researchers/Supervisors to date, including research questions.
Novice Researcher Resources
- 4th May 2021 – Jeff Markuns: Overview of Global Documents on PHC/UHC
- 1st June 2021 – Prosper Tumusiime: Overview of African Documents on PHC/UHC
- 6th July 2021 – cancelled
- 3rd August 2021 – Shabir Moosa: Developing the AfroPHC Research Platform
- 7th September 2021 – Pretty Kusemva shared her PhD Proposal.
- 5th October 2021 – cancelled.
- 2nd November 2021: Senkyire Ephraim Kumi: Research ID’s and Collaborative Possibilities
- 5th April 2022: Introduction to research in PHC
3rd5th May 2022: Developing a good research question
- 7th June 2022: Conducting a literature review and writing an introduction
- 5th July 2022: Overview of Research Methods and Setting Research Aims / Objectives
- 2nd August 2022: Getting to grips with Quantitative Research
- 6th September 2022: Getting to grips with Qualitative Research
- 4th October 2022: Analytics in Quantitative Research and Quantitative Research
- 1st November 2022: CDN ppt & Discussion of Concept Notes
- 6th December 2022: Managing the research project
- 7th February 2023: Ethical issues in a research project
- 7th March 2023: Publishing the research project
- 4th April 2023: Translating the research project into practice/policy
Each meeting will also review development of Practice-Based Research Networks (PBRNs) as well as any collaborative AfroPHC research projects embarked on.